Sunday, September 30, 2007

All You Need is Love

do - do - do - do - do.

For some reason this classic song written by the Beatles got stuck in my head while we were at the State Department the other day. My mind started to wander as I wondered how the melody would sound if someone sang it in another language, but I realized that no matter what the "do's" would be the same. The "do's" are universal. The "do's" also make a lot of people smile. Smiles are universal.
I think that even Kim Jong-Il would have to crack a smile if another world leader began serenading him with their very own version of this song. Why wouldn't he? So honestly, why can't we all just get along? We all have our ups and downs, a sense of humor, a family, things we care about, and a heart that beats, so why can't we see that in everyone else?
I realize that this blog is highly idealistic. I also realize that one silly action can't change the world, but who knows, it could be a start
What if, in the middle of a conference someone were to get up and sing to the rest of the room? Maybe this simple action would make everyone smile, and be more likely to set aside their differences. After all, maybe all you need is love.

No comments: