Sunday, September 2, 2007

Reflection (week 1)

What can I say about this week? Though I still cannot claim to be a fan of baseball, I now at least understand the basic rules of the game. To be honest I can’t say that I found the game to be all that eventful (or relevant) but I still had a great time, I definitely miss working with kids.
In the classroom there were a few things that really set in with me. I think the biggest is perhaps the difference between tolerance and acceptance. I had never really thought of how much these two terms vary, but now that I think about it there truly is an astronomical difference. So, to correct my earlier statement: I believe that people should be educated worldwide on how to tolerate all other people as they are. If mankind managed this feat the planet would be so much better off.
The other thing that was clear in class this week was the fact that we really are a living learning community. We are all going home to the same place, so regardless of what may happen in discussion/debate I think it is really important that we remember that it is only a class discussion and that we are a community. Nobody likes getting worked up (that I know of), but at the end of the day there shouldn’t be any hard feelings or grudges. There are two stellar sayings I know: “leave it at the door” and “don’t go to bed angry”. I think those are some pretty good words to live by.

No comments: